We are Support Our Students Alberta, a non-partisan, non-profit public education advocacy group fighting for the rights of all children to an equitable and accessible public education system. We are all volunteers; we are proud, engaged citizens of Alberta who believe that when we meet the needs of the most vulnerable children, we elevate the quality of life for all children. We volunteer our time and energy not for our own children; we do it because we believe in the institution of public education.
- We believe public education is a child’s human right.
- Every child, regardless of income should have a barrier free public education.
- We believe there is room for improvement, but also that public education is worth fighting for.
- We know children go to school with trauma, mental health needs, food insecurity, poverty-related issues that can create barriers to their learning, something no PISA or standardized test score can measure.
- We know children go undiagnosed and unsupported for learning disabilities, and early intervention could greatly affect their future.
- We know some parents and families are unable to pay for the testing required to properly diagnose and treat their children.
- We know some children feel unsafe at school, because of the colour of their skin, their religion or their gender identity.
- We believe GSAs save lives
- We believe institutionalized and systemic racism exists throughout our education system.
- We believe an unsupported, alienated and marginalized student becomes an alienated and marginalized citizen.
- We believe competition has no place in education. Inherent in competition are winners and losers and no child should lose when it comes to education. Especially when the competition is tilted in favour of the privileged.
- We believe choice is a euphemism for segregation.
- We believe public funds should be for public schools.